Move the offline files repository in Windows 7

I use offline files for having some file shares available when I'm on the road. I needed to move the %systemroot%\csc (the default place for offline files) to my D:\-drive on my new computer (HP EliteBook 8530w).

I did the CSC move before setting up any offline files replication:

  1. Setup a folder to store the Offline Files cache
  2. Start regedit (with elevated permissions)
  3. Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
  4. Add Parameters subkey if it doesn't exist
    On my Windows7 Enterprise the subkey already existed
  5. Add a new value
    Type: REG_SZ (string value)
    Name: CacheLocation
    Value: \??\<PATH>
    Example \??\d:\Data\OfflineCache
  6. Reboot the computer

Link to KB article for moving CSC cache: KB942960

No comments: